Friday, July 23, 2010

Ojalá

I cannot believe how time here has just sped up and sprinted away. Today was the last day of classes; I gave a presentation on Gladys Marín, drank some warm wine, and then took my prueba (don't worry, I passed with flying colors). Afterwards, at our going away gathering with the exchange program, I commented to Brenna on how it seems like just yesterday that we were at our orientation, eating the same sandwiches, hearing the same people speak, and receiving PUCV themed regalos.

I walked home in the rain, but didn't mind. I was feeling a bit triste at the prospect of leaving and saying goodbye to my family here. Just last night, I hugged Romina goodbye. "I'll see you soon," she said, and was so confident in that statement. I do hope she's right. I've never experienced such hospitality and warmth before. I can't wait to see if other places compare, and to return to Chile again.

Tonight, at once, it was just the family and I. Tia Rosita, her pololo Claudio, and her two sons Ferdinand and Carlos. We ate (well, I drank tea), and Carlos (under pressure) got his guitar and started to play. Everyone was singing and laughing, especially when Carlos started singing Nirvana songs without actually knowing the words. He was just making the related sounds, and despite being very familiar with his song choices, I could not make out what he was saying. Tia Rosita suspected, and asked me, and we both laughed so hard when I confirmed that he was singing nonsense.

My stomach has been super strange today. I've been mostly unable to eat, and now I'm beset with a terrible stomachache that comes and goes in waves. Tia Rosita brought me a herb-infused hot beverage as a homeopathic remedy. She also gave me a beautiful necklace, hand-made by one of her friends, and one of a kind. It's beautiful, as is she, inside and out. If I can muster up the strength, I want to go out to celebrate my last night in Viña/Valpo. My teacher and some of the kids from my class are in Valpo for the night, not to mention my brothers are very likely going to carretear as well.

Tomorrow, we go to Santiago. I'll stay with Jane until Monday, when my flight leaves. I cannot believe I'm saying goodbye to this gorgeous place, and these wonderful people. Maybe the stomachache isn't as random as it seems...

No comments:

Post a Comment