Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Gracias por la Vida

Pucon ended up being incredible, even if it had a bit of a rough start. Brenna and I had bus tickets to Puerto Montt, not Pucon, and we didn't realize the error until we got on the bus. After a chat with the bus driver, we were notified when we came to a stop, about an hour or two from Pucon. From there, we grabbed another bus to Pucon, and from then on, smooth sailing.

We stayed in a hostel run by Pancho's lovely friend, Alvaro. The first night we grabbed burgers and drinks at another friend's restaurant. From there we went to a bar and club, where carreteamos y bailamos. The next day we went white water river rafting, which is one of my favorite activities in the world. I've decided that a solid plan b for my life is to become a river rafting guide, and travel the world taking english and spanish speaking tourists on adventures. Not a bad way to spend your early 20s...

After some sushi, we headed to the hot springs. Pucon is a town bordering the active Volcán Villarrica, so natural hot springs are abound in the area. The next day, Brenna and I woke up nice and early to climb the snow covered volcán. It was one of the most intense and exhilarating experiences of my life. I took some pictures of the gorgeous view, but I doubt they do justice to the experience itself. After a (much) needed shower, we shared the best sandwich of my life. Afterwards, we grabbed ice cream and chocolates for the night-time bus ride.

We arrived yesterday in the morning, too late to go to school and far too tired to, anyway. I met Claudio, Tia Rosita's pololo, who is muy guapo. Tia Rosita is such a wonderful woman who has been through a lot; no one is more deserving of love than her. Off to a ISA dinner for now, but I'll check in soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment